February 11, 2007

66%

This was a tough week, even with 2 snow days. I had two observations from my supervising teacher from SJFC, Wednesday and Friday. Things went reasonably well, but the classroom management side of things went to heck in a handbasket. Or at least partway to heck.

Last week I had desks in rows, and the students were quiet as mice. My thinking was putting the desks back in groups wouldn't be a major problem. In retrospect, I should have gone more than one class with desks in rows to establish more of a pattern of good behavior. Friday was the worst, and I must have said "please no talking", "please no personal conservations", or variations thereof 100 times. For now, the desks go back in rows. They would be that way for Monday's quiz anyway, but I'll keep them that way at least through Wednesday. From Wong's First Days of School:

"Students must sit in such a way as to accomplish what you want them to accomplish"


The observation comments by my SJFC supervisor and by my SBE were honest and constructive, and include a number of tips to reduce the chance of similar management issues in future classes. I'll admit that Friday was probably the first class where I felt some level of frustration with the kids. One in particular was frustrated with the basic level of the material, even though she had missed 2 out of the 4 classes so far. I haven't received any homework or other submissions from this student, so tomorrow's quiz will be an indication whether she gets it like she thinks.

The last class of the week had a few highlights, in that a student who on Wednesday was almost asking for 1:1 tutoring during class time made a leap of understanding. This particular student made a point of saying "I'm getting this". I won't go into a sappy "this makes it all worthwhile", but it did help cap off the week on a better note.

Losing the 2 snow days have forced me to change the plan for the literacy strategy review targeting the probability reading. I've decided I am going to put together a packet illustrating a thinkaloud, with bubbles embedded on the page as examples of "what good readers do". Also, some additional material about this particular strategy, and a reflection assignment.

1 comment:

glojo said...

I love the idea of the bubbles to demonstrate think alouds. Let me know how it goes.