March 18, 2007

Week 2 at Willink

The real work has finally started! Last week I continued to get to know all 111 7th graders. Monday was a final day of review for the even blocks, followed by the 2 test days. What really made it a fun week was the post test party Andy planned for the students. Money was collected during the week before the test (limit of $2 per student), and was used to buy all sorts of sugar filled products. I stopped at the party store on Wednesday and picked up some decorations including hanging palm trees and a lei for each student. We had video games, a movie (Cars), and lots of fun.

All the students know I will be taking over tomorrow, and the party was a good way to transition, and a good way to get to know the students on a more personal level.

I've got detailed plans together for the first 2 blocks - tomorrow is the first full teaching day and I didn't want to go too far until I have a sense of the pacing. The first unit for the Math 7 class is the Pythagorean theorem, with algebra patterns and linear relationships for the accelerated class.

I can't believe 2 out of the 7 weeks have already passed, and I'm sure will go even more quickly now that I'll be teaching full time.

No comments: