April 23, 2007

Willink Week 6 plus 1 day

Amazingly enough only 4 days to go. My three supervisor observations finished up today and I now have 4 days to go.

The highlight of the week was a decision to reteach a lesson on proportions. After the first 2 block cycles, I sensed some confusion on the concept of solving a proportion using cross multiplication. The review lesson focused on a step by step breakdown of the algebraic solution to an unknown in a proportion, followed by proactice, practice, practice. Through the 4 Math 7 blocks, there were a number of "aha" moments where the students got it. Each of those ahas meant they didn't have it before, so it was nice to get them into the plus column.

These final weeks seem to be coming faster than the first few of the semester, and I still hope to have the accelerated students prepared for a unit test, which I have planeed for Friday. Some of the topics I have been teaching have stretched well beyond the standards, and I may have created some frustration. I have now dialed back to just the standards, including homework and review focused only on the requirements.

A little disappointment - I had an interview at School Without Walls last Thursday, and it went really well. However, a position at a small, alternative school like SWW, and I'm sure they had many qualified candidates. So today I got the rejection notice, I'm sure the first of many!

No comments: